Wings Over Houston Airshow Awards Scholarships to Eight College-Level Aviation Students
Eight scholarships have been awarded by the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Wings Over Houston Airshow to university students from Texas who are pursuing careers in aviation-related fields. The CAF Wings Over Houston Airshow Scholarship Program provides assistance to students who have completed two years of study in aviation or a related field and who demonstrate academic potential, leadership and extracurricular involvement.
“Each of this year’s recipients share the passion and commitment to aviation, as do all of us who are associated with or perform in the CAF Wings Over Houston Airshow,” said Airshow Director Bill Roach. “When you purchase a ticket to this year’s show on October 22 and 23, you will not only see an amazing show featuring the Blue Angels and other great performers, but you also will be helping to fund our college scholarship program, programs for high school students, restoration of historical aircraft and many other local non-profit organizations.”
This year’s scholarship recipients, all from Texas, are:
- Rodger Walter Garcia Advincula, Jr., of Katy is a junior at Louisiana Tech University, majoring in Professional Aviation and Aviation Management with a minor in Business Administration. Upon graduation, he intends to spend some time as flight instructor before pursuing a career in commercial aviation.
- Garrett Dinkins of Frisco is a junior at Oklahoma State University, majoring in Aviation Administration and Operations, with a Professional Pilot option. He plans to pursue a career as a commercial pilot after graduation.
- Lindsey Hurley of Spring is a senior at Baylor University, majoring in Aviation Science. She is captain of the award-winning TSTC Tornados Flight Team, and intends to pursue a career as a professional pilot after graduation. Lindsey was previously awarded Airshow scholarships in 2014 and 2015.
- Joshua R. Marks of Austin is a junior at the University of Texas at Austin, majoring in Civil Engineering. A Midshipman with the Naval ROTC program at UT, Joshua plans on a career in naval aviation. He was previously awarded an Airshow scholarship in 2015.
- Mackenzie Odom of Happy is a senior at Oklahoma State University, majoring in Professional Pilot with a minor in Aviation Management. After graduation, she plans on a career in commercial aviation.
- Shaheida Megan Ramajan of Bedford is a senior at the Florida Institute of Technology. She is majoring in Aeronautical Science and Aviation Management, and after graduation intends to pursue a master’s degree before entering a career in commercial aviation.
- Joshua Shook of Austin is a senior at the University of Texas at Austin. An Aerospace Engineering major and cadet in the Air Force ROTC program at UT, after graduation he intends to serve as an Air Force pilot and continue on to a career in flight systems development and testing.
- Zachary Williams of Weatherford is a senior at Texas A&M University. An Aerospace Engineering major and member of the Corps of Cadets and Air Force ROTC, he plans to serve as an Air Force aviator after graduation.
One of Houston's largest non-profit civic events, the CAF Wings Over Houston Airshow proceeds are used to sponsor the Wings Over Houston Scholarship Program for college students studying for careers in aviation, Aviation Career Education (ACE) Summer Academy for high school juniors and seniors interested in aviation, Commemorative Air Force aircraft restoration and flying historical programs, Exchange Club of Sugar Land, Rotary Club, and many other area non-profit groups.
Visit the airshow’s website, www.wingsoverhouston.com, to purchase tickets in advance for the next show, Oct. 22-23, at Ellington Field. Tickets can also be purchased by calling 888-4-FLYSHOW. Tickets can be purchased at the gate on show days, but premium reserved seats sell out early. General admission tickets also will be available at area Kroger stores in mid- to late-September.
About Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Wings Over Houston
The Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Wings Over Houston Airshow is a non-profit 501(c)(3) community event produced by a volunteer effort of the Gulf Coast Wing, Houston Wing, and Tora! Tora! Tora! of the Commemorative Air Force, with support from the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, Texas Legends Flying Museum, Vietnam War Flight Museum, Lewis Air Legends and Collings Foundation West. The Airshow is dedicated to showcasing vintage World War II aircraft, along with the thrills of modern aviation. One of the top air shows in the United States in its category, the CAF Wings Over Houston Airshow attracts more than 90,000 festival goers throughout Houston as well as from around the globe. The 2016 Airshow benefits the CAF Wings Over Houston Airshow Scholarship Program, Aviation Career Education Academy, Exchange Club of Sugar Land, Westchase Rotary Club and the Commemorative Air Force aircraft restoration and flying historical programs, in addition to numerous other nonprofit participating organizations.