Air Group One EL Cajon, CA

Address:
Gillespie Field
1905 No. Marshall Ave
Hangar #6
EL Cajon, CA 92020

Contact number:
(619) 259-5541

Website:
https://ag1caf.org/

Air Group One formed as the "San Diego Squadron" of the CAF in 1981. Two years later it was reformed as a CAF Wing and renamed "Air Group One." Its hangar is located at 1921 North Marshall, Hangar #13 on Gillespie Field in El Cajon, California.

Air Group One's hangar and WWII museum currently displays an SNJ-5 Texan "Sassy," an L-3, and our L-5 Sentinel "Betsy" is currently in restoration at our hangar.

Air Group One is a purely volunteer-driven organization. The members and volunteers dedicate their efforts to a variety of local projects, such as the maintenance and restoration of WWII aircraft, memorial flyovers at special events, contribution of museum displays to educate the public, and providing support and presence at Southern California air shows.

Air Group One presents monthly member and volunteer gatherings, youth educational events and symposiums as well as annual events, such as the highly-anticipated World War II air show, "AirShow San Diego" formerly Wings Over Gillespie.

Air Group One hosts a fundraising pancake breakfast or BBQ at our hangar on the fourth Saturday of the month followed by a general meeting (open to all). We invite you to join us to share an interest in history, aviation and community outreach endeavors.

SNJ-5 1943 SNJ-5, "Sassy" More 1943 SNJ-5, "Sassy" Info

No better aircraft could symbolize America’s aviation status at the start of America’s entry into WWII than its premier, advanced flight trainer that will eventually be responsible for arguably training more fighter and bomber pilots than any other single series aircraft type. Air Group One's SNJ-5 “Sassy” is the Navy & Marine version of the North American Aviation T-6 Texan, a single-engine advanced trainer aircraft used to train pilots of the United States Army Air Forces, United States Navy, Royal Air Force and other air forces of the British Commonwealth during World War II and into the 1950s. Designed by North American Aviation, the T-6 is known by a variety of designations depending... ...

L-3E Grasshopper Grasshopper More Grasshopper Info

The L-3 was initially designated the O-58 at the time it was first ordered by the Air Corps, a designation prefix that was retired in April 1942. The airplane underwent service tests in the summer of 1941 during maneuvers in Louisiana and Texas. When American forces went into combat after Pearl Harbour, the Army Air Force used the L-3 in much the same manner as observation balloons were used during World War I — spotting activities and directing artillery fire. It was also used for liaison and transport duties and short-range reconnaissance which required airplanes to land and take off in short distances from unprepared landing strips. Liaison pilots would train on L-3s before... ...

L-5 Sentinel More Info

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.